Friday, June 6, 2014

Light at the end of the tunnel

     Well, we are already on day 6 in Paris and things are getting better day by day!  I re-fractured my foot that was previously broken, so it's pretty safe to say that everything has gotten a lot more challenging, but I'm doing it! Seeing as Paris is a "walking city", it is terribly difficult for me to get around and keep up with our group, but luckily some fellow classmates have been extremely helpful and sympathetic. I also have to move dorms because the current dorm I am in, Fondation Biermans-LaPorte is about a 20 minute walk from the school (and that's without crutches...) so that is also something I didn't expect to have to do, but hey it'll be better in the long run no matter how much of a hassle it is now. Today was the first day that I have felt pretty good about being here. We went to the Louvre and got to see some amazing art and architecture which was super fun. Once again, it was pretty tough with my foot being fractured because the Louvre is full of stairs and stairs and stairs, but I did it because I want to make the most out of this trip even though I am just going to have to accept the fact that it is not going to be up to my expectations because there are some things that are just out of my control (which kills me). After the Louvre we went to dinner at Cafe Palais Royal where I got something other than cheese, bread, or pizza to eat! Is it bad that I am in France and can't stand to eat another piece of bread with cheese and it's only day 6?...Let's just say someone better take me to dinner when I get back to Ohio..a realllllly good dinner..I mean if you're reading this right now you have a few weeks to plan it all out....so my expectations are high...
     Joan, the director of PFI literally saved me from going insane within the first week of being here....she even sat at the emergency room with me for 7 hours. If that isn't caring about your students, I don't know what is. I could not be more thankful for how sweet and helpful Joan was (and still is every single day) when I was a total disaster of panic, worry, and homesickness. She even called my mom to talk to her and make sure she was ok and knew what all was going on. While we were at the hospital, my professors Aundrea, Diane, and Lori all called Joan to check on me multiple times. If all of the professors here didn't care as much as they do, I may have been on a plane back to Ohio yesterday because I could not have done it alone. Joan has made me feel a lot more at home here because I can talk to her just like I talk to my own mom..don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have had my mom here, but since she couldn't be here Joan was the next best thing.
     All of the classes I am taking are amazing and I've already had the pleasure of meeting 2 amazing people who came to speak to us, Godfrey Deeny and Joann white, the director Joan's daughter. Tomorrow is our "free" day, but we have to go to some designer shops and analyze certain aspects of the business..I am extremely excited to bop around to all of the designer shops even though I won't be able to afford the millions of dollars worth of garments, jewelry, shoes, and bags that I know I'll desperately want.
     Overall, a lot has gone wrong within the past 6 days and I won't lie, I definitely wanted to go home until probably ehhh yesterday maybe? But now I am starting to enjoy Paris a lot more even though it is still tough with my fractured foot and all but I mean that's just the way my luck goes, I've learned that I am just going to have to accept that or else I will be miserable throughout life. At this point I have learned to laugh at all of the unfortunate events that have happened so far in Paris and am going to make the most of what little time I have left here.
My nasty foot the night that I realized something was seriously wrong and I should probably go to the ER....I'll just look at it as a good story to tell later, right?

Beautiful scenery at the Louvre today! ( I look like an old lady with a cane....)

In a city this beautiful, how could I not choose to get out and enjoy it


1 comment:

  1. Soooooo glad you're having such a better time and are enjoying it more!!!! Love ya wax!

    ReplyDelete